Monday, July 20, 2015

Using MailChimp For Classroom Newsletters


Y'all, one of my co-workers showed me a program/website/company that changed the way I send classroom newsletters and I want to share with you! It's called .... MAIL CHIMP! 




It's a silly name for a seriously awesome product --- and it's FREE. Here's what awesome about it:


  • Using e-mails means you can link to things and it's ALWAYS in the inbox. 
I used to do paper newsletters .... they made it home mmm, 70% of the time. And then they got lost 100% of the time. E-mailing parents directly means that it gets straight to parents (no child middle man), they receive it instantly, and it can't get lost.

Plus, you have the chance to link to SignUpGenius for volunteer opportunities,  embed files (permission forms, surveys) directly into the document so that all parents have to do is CLICK! So easy.
  • Import a list of names and use it over and over 
I import my parent list once, then send them the link so they can add themselves to my list. No more "did I get this e-mail correct?" SO. EASY. 
  • Format your e-mails in a SUPER professional way 
Presentation is really important. MailChimp's templates make everything look super professional and I like things that are well done. :) 
  • Track your opens, clicks, downloads, everything 
That's the really, really, take it over the top part --- you know who has opened your newsletter, who has clicked on links, etc. You also know when e-mails have bounced out of mailboxes, etc. I can't tell you how often this has helped me figure out when a parent's filter is sending my e-mail to their spam folder. It's also cool to see what things interest my parents - the click through percentage is primo. From my last year using this --- pictures of the kiddos are always #1. :) 

Want to see what it looks like? Here's a sample e-mail that I sent to my kids' families a week ago, as soon as we got our class lists: 


In this e-mail I'm getting a TON of information across in one super super simple e-mail. Everything my parents need to be ready for the year is in this one e-mail! Hallelujah! 





3 comments:

  1. I'm going to look into using this! I like the idea of being able to track the clicks/opens/downloads. Thanks! :)
    One Lucky Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica - Thanks for checking this out! Definitely let me know if you end up using it - it will make your life SOOOO much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow i can say that this is another great article as expected of this blog.Bookmarked this site..
    nyhetsbrev tips

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips