Thursday, April 11, 2013

Choose Your 'Tude: Neutral or Happy

As I've shared when I introduced my "hook" for motivating boys with "Motivation Madness," character education is on my mind as we roll into the end-of-year festivities.

I wanted to share two things I use that work pretty well for me. First, "neutral or happy." This is a fairly simple concept, but it really cuts down on something that all second graders need help overcoming: the pout. You know ... the bottom lip pokes out, the nose wrinkles, eyebrows lower ... feet stomp, shoulders slump ... etc. I help my kids understand this with a simple phrase - "neutral or happy." 

I explain at the beginning of the year that it's totally okay if we don't feel happy all the time. In fact, *I* don't feel happy all the time! {Especially when I don't get my cup of tea in the morning ... not nearly as cool as coffee, but it's my jam, man.}

Rather than pout, I keep a neutral or happy face and voice. If I am upset and need a moment, it's okay for me to close my eyes and count to three, but then ... neutral or happy. If I'm upset with a friend, first I get to a neutral or happy place and then I can use the peace window. 

Here's a little {FREEBIE!} poster I made up for the classroom - grab it from my TpT store if you like it, and leave some feedback for me! :) 


The second thing I wanted to share - morning meeting read-aloud. Every day in morning meeting we have a different topic (math, grammar, character ed., etc.). Wednesdays are the read-aloud days, and I try to make them books with a strong theme - if I'm really on top of things, a theme we're struggling with in class. Common Core Standard RL.2? BAM. {Ha. Too much?}

This week we'll be reading Maya Was Grumpy by Courtney Pippen Mathur to discuss ... grumpiness. We all get up on the wrong side of the bed sometimes. {Especially when it's light for so long and our bodies don't let us get enough sleep. ahemMs.BBZahem} This is the story of a little girl named Maya who just wants to be grumpy ... until her grandma comes up with a funny way to get her out of her funk.


The illustrations are BEAUTIFUL, and there are quite a few examples of alliteration and personification {what.do.you.know.that's.what.we're.studying.right.now} ... #integration. 



Add in a little watercolor technique and a craftivity? #doubleintegration


                  



Annyyyyway - the whole lesson plan set, art cards, templates and response sheets are up in my TpT store, so if you're so inclined - grab it! Either way, I highly recommend the book to chase away those grumpy days! :) 







7 comments:

  1. I am completely captivated by your craftivity for Maya was Grumpy!! That is beautiful! I'd love to do this with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tiny Toes! I love your posts in the forums - you're so helpful! I'd love to send you the packet - might be a little over the heads of your Pre-K babies but maybe it will give you or a friend some inspiration for an adaptation. Shoot me a quick ms.bbzteacher at gmail dot com -- I'll send it right over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You share great ideas and insights into your classroom. It is great when everything comes together!
    So glad I found you through TpT!
    Forever A Teacher, Forever A Learner

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog through Minds in Bloom. I'm a new follower!
    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found you through Minds in Bloom as well. I love your blog! I'm a second grade teacher as well, from way up north in New Hampshire!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to have y'all! Can't wait to check out your blogs as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips